Monday, December 15, 2008

It's 2:00 am here in Ulaanbaatar. Not getting much sleep tonight so I thought I might as well get caught up a bit. Seem to have the stomach flu or something. Guess I'm the first one of us to get sick here in Mongolia. Lucky me! Not having much fun with it!

We put some Christmas decorations up in the basement by our office yesterday. We got an extra tree from the Service Department on the 3rd floor. First they gave us an old artificial tree they were going to throw out. The top section wea missing and it left something to be desired. But I removed a branch from the back of the tree and made a pretty passable top for it. And we started straightening the branches and makeing it look presentable. All it would have needed is some decorations.

But then, low and behold, the Service Dept. found the top section and wanted their tree back! But that still left them with an extra tree. So, I moaned and whined a bit (just a little, mind you) and they finally agreed to give us the somewhat smaller tree they were going to give to the guy in the office next to us. The two of us agreed that right there by our offices was the best place for it anyway and it worked out well. What's more, this tree came fully decorated! We'll take a picture and add it to the post asap.

7 comments:

Ryan Cowley said...

That's no fun that you're sick! Glad to hear you're getting more and more Christmas up around there. Can't wait to see more pics.

Unknown said...

WEll I think it's about time the youngest Mr C jump in and say hello to his big brother!
It looks like you are both doing well and making a very possitive impact on your assigned branch (or is it a ward yet). Anyway we are glad you all made it in one piece and are having a great experience.
As for Seattle we are having one of our rare winters with day highs around 25 and last night was down to 17. The word is 17 will fell warm compared to what is heading in from the north so this realy IS rare.
Family is all well and the kids love the snow. I am taking some additional training whiule hiring is slow over the holidays so we are setting our sites a fresh new year for some good news on that front. :)
Hello as well to the rest of the clan out there. Love from all of us here in the NW.

Mark and Family.

Screaming Grasshopper said...

Things are not the same with out you here but I gotta say-- MONGOLIA IS LUCKY!!

Love you,
Andrea

The Fendleys said...

I hope you get to feeling better soon Dad. I was lucky today and got an extra Skype for my Birthday. All I got from Dad was to see his arm waving to me from a distance and a faint Happy Birthday, being sick and all. I think that I am extremely lucky to even get that, considering that you are half way around the world. It was an awesome birthday minus the fact that it was the very first one that I had to spend with out my Mom and Dad here. It is awesome to hear from different family members posting once in a while, we love it. Hello and Merry Christmas to you as well Mark, and Andrea. Julie Skyped me tonight about how hard it is to me half way around the world from you when you are sick, and I would have to agree. There is absolutely nothing that we can do for you from so far away. Just know that we are praying for you and hope that you get to feeling better soon. Mom, I hope you teaching class went well today. I know that you picked up the slack of Dad being gone just fine. The two of you work amazingly well together that way, picking up each others slack when needed. We love and miss you both, and pray for your saftey and well being always. Love you!!!

Mr C said...

Good timing Mark! Nothing can pick up a guy faster than word from home! Thanks all of you for you're love and concern! And especially for the unexpected post from Mark! We love you all!

BTW, I'm feeling lot's better. Really tired but not feeling sick much now. Food still doesn't seem all that attractive, still, but I'm getting there!

nclayton said...

Hi Mike and Melba, this is Nancy Clayton, Lloyd and Billie's daughter. I got your Christmas letter and went to your blog. I'm so glad you are doing this. I will for sure read about your experiences. It sounds like you are having a great AND interesting time. I wish you both a very Merry Christmas even though you won't be home with your families. I feel your pain. Since our move to Ohio we won't be spending Christmas with family either. I'm sure it will still be a wondrous time. Best wishes on your mission. It sounds like you won't be bored, ha ha. Thanks again for blogging. We have a blog too but I know you don't have time to look. Maybe when you get home.

Ryan Cowley said...

Grandma, I just want you to know that our tree made it almost a full week without being pulled down by Jacob. And it didn't even fall all the way! Ryan happened to be sitting right next to it so he caught it before it came all the way down!